« Home | Beautiful, beautiful Norway, yet again! » | The weekends are always awesome with my girls :)Fo... » | Because (some) randomness is good, group photos fr... » | Do you have glasses? Whether you wear/need glasses... » | My Master's class and I spent 2 days in Brussels t... » | I love seasons. They are such visual manifestation... » | There has been much activity here in Amsterdam - u... » | I've had such an awesome weekend, I don't even kno... » | I haven't written an essay in a year. This is taki... » | It's been 7 months since my last post - does anyon... »

I took a long, lazy bus trip to the city today, despite faster options.

There is no better way for me to observe my surroundings, absorb the sights and sounds, feel the sun touch my skin as we went along. Songs which I think could make up the soundtrack of life were also plugged into my ears. It was a movie moment.

Being Boxing Day, the traffic was horrible and we crawled on the asphalt. Cars weaved their way through the fabric, giving the bikers a run for their money and probably lives. It took us almost 90mins to reach the city - this, by Singaporean travelling standards, is appalling.

Along the way, I was reminded how fast this country changes. The facades keep evolving each time I'm back from months away, but I like to believe the soul is unchanged. Engineering feats stupefy me which seem only the tip of the iceberg for how far we've come as a nation. When we reached a certain area, huge real estate developments seemed to sprout like well germinated seeds. Growing up here has made these buildings not an urban jungle, but an organic and integrated part of the city.

When the bus finally stops for us to alight, the sun is shining, the city is abuzz and thronging with people. I feel at home, and yet, have never felt so distant.

Labels:

Smile.

Contact.

    kohsufen@gmail.com

Currently,


    Reading: Research...
    Listening: Bag of Hammers & Swimming Pools by Thao

Talk.

Previous posts,

Archives.