« Home | It's been an easybreezy past few days since turnin... » | Well, well. Looks like the weather gods have smile... » | I've never been known to be a chef, let alone a fa... » | A city of contrasts is what Amsterdam is. Juxtapos... » | Mini update:I spent 2.5 weeks back on the sunny is... » | Happy 2009! Here's to a lighter, brighter new year! » | I took a long, lazy bus trip to the city today, de... » | Beautiful, beautiful Norway, yet again! » | The weekends are always awesome with my girls :)Fo... » | Because (some) randomness is good, group photos fr... »

My 24th was just a week ago. I had a small pre-"proper" celebration with my neighbour, Anna, who cooked me a hearty breakfast (bacon, croissants, eggs, fruit..), walked around the city with me and finally had drinks with me in the night.

She is a rare gem and always such a darling - my listening ear, advice-giver (only when consulted), enthusiastic bunny and someone who craves Chinese food more than I do. She loved durian ice cream the first time she tried it - without developing that necessary "acquired taste". Much love.

My "proper" celebration is tomorrow evening.

And I got to thinking what I've achieved after 24 years of being on planet Earth. Chronologically speaking, I was never really the brightest at school: average plain jane with the average plain jane grades, a few good friends which somehow always landed me the image of being arrogant. However, I mixed around well and could generally fit into most social groups, rather a chameleon.

What I remember having and I still do, is having the insatiable appetite for knowledge. I liked having information, facts and sometimes figures at the tips of my fingers. Big ideas, I adore: mainly because I have a shit memory for Confucian-style learning (i.e. memorising) that the Singaporean school system is based on. Yes, smartassing (not in a chiding manner) and amassing information was a favourite hobby of mine. I think Dad got me a "Big Book of Answers" when I was about 8 so I would stop asking him WHOWHATWHENHOWWHYWHERE. Then came Encarta. And the internet.

However, somewhere along the line of growing my bubble world of untouched reality fuelled by 18th and 19th century English literature, globe trekking, music, pictures and hobbies only afforded with good economics, I was selfish. Being an only child meant and probably still means sharing is a life-long process as opposed to something one learns in childhood. I took easily; I gave little. Slowly, but surely, I've developed a penchant for sharing my little facts and figures, my musings, some poetry - my bubble world and my quirks, unconsciously digging mini graves with people I meet along my journey.

I thought by doing this I was being open with my friends, my family, my loved one(s). Today, I realise how much I still have to learn how to open up and really share.

24.

Labels:

this is a wonderful, honest post :)

you probably don't update here anymore, but if one day you do, just wanted to let you know that somewhere across the world you've made a stranger feel better about herself.




be blessed.

Dear Anonymous,

Your comment made me smile - it made me reread my post and comforted me that someone else is touched by my words. I may update this one day, who knows, but for now, keep smiling and know that one is never alone in the world :)

Cheers,
Sufen

Post a Comment

Smile.

Contact.

    kohsufen@gmail.com

Currently,


    Reading: Research...
    Listening: Bag of Hammers & Swimming Pools by Thao

Talk.

Previous posts,

Archives.